Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pet hates and bugbears.


What phrase do you hate the most? Mine is ‘at the end of the day’. Okay it may not be as phatic as ‘you know’, the meaning might not have been quite as warped ‘literally’ but for me it’s the one that grates the most. What is my problem with it? Maybe it’s because it’s not used literally; people are not talking about midnight, they are highlighting what they think is the most important fact. Or maybe it’s because there are better ways of saying it; ultimately, all things considered, importantly, the fact is, pertinently all do the same job. Maybe it’s the constant, unnecessary use. Whatever the reason it’s the one that gets me grinding my teeth more than others and is one I never use. Let me know if you have a similar bugbear.

No comments:

Post a Comment