Thursday, April 26, 2012

Is it better to try and fail than never to try at all?


About ten years ago I learnt how to Salsa dance. It wasn’t easy, it was akin to turning one of my left feet into a right one. After 15 lessons my teacher said, 'at first I thought never, now… maybe.' About 2 years later, while dancing, a stranger asked me if I was from Cuba!!!!
My teacher had stuck with me, encouraged me, set me achievable goals, helped me. I didn’t shoot for the stars but in the end I reached the moon.
Yet I hear teachers say that they shouldn’t demand too much of their students because they are setting them up for failure. In my opinion if we set realistic targets and give encouragement then our students can succeed. Some things blossom when you least expect them to, but if you don’t water them they never will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment